Cyber security starts with certain aspects, simple yet sensitive, as is the case with securing online accounts with passwords with a high degree of difficulty. To our surprise or not, the reality is that essential password rules are still "violated", even by us as adults.
And in the case of kids, we should remember that 14% of children in Romania said that other people used their passwords to access their personal information or to impersonate them on the Internet (according to EU Kids Online 2020 study).
That's why the Cyber4Kids by certSIGN cyber education campaign for children addresses this extremely important topic, with useful tips for children (and parents) so that little ones can create and keep strong passwords safe:
• Video animation “Cyber4Kids. Magical passwords (ep.8)”
• PDF Guide “Cyber4Kids. Magical passwords”
Important to remember?
• The child must understand the differences between a weak password (eg password123, qwerty, andrei111), an average one with a higher degree of difficulty, but not impossible to guess, whether we are talking about people who know the child or about malicious software – keylogger, screen scraper – used by cybercriminals (eg ImiPlaceLego, Andrei2o2o) and a powerful one (Ilg@C&sHPm, DCv1L&3cJup).
• Strong words can be obtained through a “interactive” technique for the child – extracting the first letters of each word from a funny sentence created by the little one, which he can easily remember, and introducing numbers and symbols. Example: "For Christmas I want a Lego and 3 books Diary of a Wimpy Kid" becomes FCIw1L&3bDWK.
• Passwords should never include personal data such as name, date of birth, parents' name, phone number or any other information that others may know or guess.
• The same password must not be used everywhere! It is recommended that there is a different one for each account (games, Facebook, YouTube Instagram, TikTok or email).
About Cyber4Kids. certSIGN’s cyber education campaign for children
For 8 weeks, on certSIGN YouTube channel, children and parents are connected together to new adventures in Cyber City – the capital of the Internet – within the Cyber4Kids campaign. A series of animated videos, created especially to please the little ones but also to make adults aware of the unseen dangers of the online environment, will contain tips and rules for accessing sites or online games, downloading applications or how to build high-security passwords, as well as many other interesting things.
The action takes place in Cyber City and the main character is your child, a Super Cyber-Hero, who will collect during the campaign a bunch of "magic objects" to help him grow safely and overcome all obstacles in the virtual world.
The adventures in the city of superheroes can be watched on cyber4kids.ro and on certSIGN social channels – YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter. The short-movies are accompanied by guides with tips for children and parents.